CaptureTheMillenialOpt3b-FINAL-1f

 

Would you like to tap into the millennial market – one that boasts approximately 75 million people aged 18 to 34 with an annual spending power of $200 billion?

If so, it’s time to take a look at the role social media plays in marketing your business. Nearly two thirds of millennials are more likely to become customers if a brand engages with them on social networks, according to Forbes.

Below, we’ll teach you how to get social savvy to earn that millennial business.

The Basics

Let’s start with the basics of social media. First, do you already have social accounts for your business or yourself as a business person? If not, determine what social media platforms are best for your audience.

We suggest primarily LinkedIn and Facebook. Twitter can be helpful too. More and more young people are moving away from Facebook to photo-centric platforms like Instagram and SnapChat, however those aren’t ideal platforms for businesses outside of artistic industries. Stick with the social platforms on which people seek resources, share their interests and have conversations, rather than the ones that are just for sharing pictures of food.

It’s Not You, It’s Them

We include this in our getting started post, because we believe this is a social media marketing concept to live by; if you don’t start out doing this, you can burn through many followers. Are you ready for it?

Your business’s social media is not about you. It’s about your customers.

We recommend living by the 80/20 rule. About 80 percent of your posts should be for your customers: giving tips and expert advice, passing along important information, being resourceful, helpful and outward-focused. The other 20 percent can be about you and your business – promotions, deals, requests for referrals, etc.

Your customer is the star. Your social should reflect that.

If your Twitter or Facebook feeds just look like a list of advertisements about yourself, you can bet you won’t engage millennials. Young people of this generation are very turned off by being “sold,” since it pretty much happens all the time online with banner ads. In fact, 67 percent of millennials surveyed reported that they have never clicked on a sponsored story.

Create a Community

Instead of “selling at” millennials online, consider creating a community for them to participate in. For example, you could start a Facebook page for new millennial home owners to share advice with each other. Then you participate in the group by offering tips for new home owners and generally being helpful without selling them. When one of their friends is looking to buy, guess which trusted resource your page followers are going to recommend?

We’ll touch more on the idea of community in part 2 of this series, as we know community may mean something more literal to you than to millennials.

Go Mobile Pronto!

This isn’t just related to social media, but it is a basic requirement that many in our industry miss out on. Hear this: every day your website is not mobile-friendly, you are losing millennial business.

87 percent of millennials use two to three tech devices at least once every day. If they’re viewing your website, it’s likely they’re viewing it on a mobile device.

To be mobile friendly, your website must be responsive – this means it reformats itself based on a viewer’s device and screen size. Some website designers will call this “optimizing your site for mobile.” Make sure you double check their work on multiple devices.

You should also avoid having too many or too-large graphics on your website, as this will hamper down the load time on slower connections.

Lastly, make sure your call to action is clear, even on a small screen. If your call to action or pitch is three sentences long, don’t expect viewers to scroll through all of that. They’ll simply hit the all-too-accessible back button and be on to the next search result.

We hope you learned something from Part 1 of our series, How to Engage Millennials on Social Media. Check back next week for Part 2, when we delve more specifically into what works and doesn’t work when it comes to millennials. Expect to receive some tips you can put to work for you immediately!

 

*For the purpose of this series, we consider millennial to mean Americans aged 18 to 34 years old.